Do I need a visa to travel to Zimbabwe?

EU citizens can purchase a single travel visa into Zimbabwe. The current price of a sing;e travel visa is USD$30. A double travel visa for USD$45 allows for travel to Zambia, South Africa, Botswana and Mozambique. The passport should have a minimum of 4 blank pages and be valid for at least 7 months.

Can I use a cell or mobile phone in Zimbabwe?

Mobile phones will receive good signal in Victoria Falls, Harare, Kariba, Bulawayo and Mutate and some safari lodges. There is EDGE or 2G mobile connection in remote places. Enquire with your cellular provider if your phone will work in Zimbabwe. Some lodges can also provide vehicles with attachable satellites to provide fast internet when travelling.

Lodges can buy a  local SIM card in advance of arrival. Econet has better coverage. Phone calls and mobile data are very expensive.

What languages are spoken in Zimbabwe?

Most Zimbabweans speak English. Local Europeans speak English as their native language. There are local languages of Zimbabwe’s Shona and Ndebele tribes. Some professional guides speak French, German or Spanish. If the guides do not speak a second language then a translator will be hired for the camp.

When is the best time or month of year to travel Zimbabwe?

Zimbabwe can be visited any time during the year. The rainy season is between December and February with possible rains in November and March. Some lodges are closed in the rainy season. The hot, dry season is from May to November with the cooler season starting in June and ending in August, the cooler season is the best time to visit Zimbabwe’s safari areas.

Can I drive/fly from South Africa to Zimbabwe?

Most car hire companies will not permit their vehicles to cross the border except for some of their smallest models. Many documents need to be organised to travel to Zimbabwe the country with a hired car. The main roads between South Africa and Zimbabwe are very bad so driving is very difficult. Chartered planes can be taken from Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town and Durban to safari lodges in Zimbabwe, Victoria Falls and Bulawayo.

What if I get stopped by the police in Zimbabwe?

The police corruption in Zimbabwe has greatly decreased since 2017. The few police roadblocks have soldiers who are monitoring the police to prevent corruption. Carry a list of the official fines to have proof of the actual fines and the regulations with vehicles if the police do try to give large fines for offences.[wpdm_package id=’692′]

[wpdm_package id=’698′]

[wpdm_package id=’699′]

There is also a technique to communicate with the police in a non-confrontational manner. The document below gives more information on this.

[wpdm_package id=’680′]

Also use the checklist for any interaction with the police who are being uncooperative.

[wpdm_package id=’802′]

For tourists who want to use their driving licence in Zimbabwe read the documents below.

[wpdm_package id=’700′]

[wpdm_package id=’697′]

The very last option is to contact Zimbabwe Police officals for assistance if the situation is getting difficult. This can make the situation with the police worse if used.

[wpdm_package id=’701′]


Renting a car in Zimbabwe?

The roads in Zimbabwe are very bad and many drivers do not have drivers licences. Rent a 4X4 vehicle from either Europcar and Avis or use a local driver. The price of renting a car is very high. It is necessary to have a credit card to rent a car. Cars can be rented in Victoria Falls, Harare and Bulawayo.

Cars drive on the the left hand side of the road in Zimbabwe. To drive in Zimbabwe a valid International Driving Permit (IDP), your local identification document (ID), your European drivers licence and passport is needed. For further information on documentation needed to drive in the country please download this file.

[wpdm_package id=’700′]

The president and other politicians will drive in convoys often preceded by police motorbikes with sirens. If you hear the siren then drive the car off the road immediately.