- Avoid using public transport and taxis at night. Violence against women will mostly happen at night.
- Avoid taking pepper spray as it is illegal in some countries. There are some air horns that will deter most assailants and are legal.
- Stay in recommended airbnb houses and apartments. Not only is airbnb cheaper than hotels but they are also more secure and comfortable.
- Explore new areas with recommended and chosen guides who speak your native language and the language of the local people.
- Avoid eating food that is not cooked in a clean kitchen. Avoid street food that is not in packaging or fruit that does not have a skin (apples for example)
- Avoid political demonstrations.
- Do not carry a visible camera as this is a symbol of a foreign journalist.
- Use public transport during the day that have local African women as passengers.
- Avoid wearing clothes that are to revealing or that are designer wear. Designer clothes attract attention from thieves.
- Vaccinate against the common diseases and infections of the country.
Using low budget budget airlines in Africa
There are a few budget airlines that are reliable in Africa but most only fly within South Africa. The best and most reliable budget airline to fly from Central Africa (Kenya, Tanzania and Ethopia) to Southern Africa is to use Fastjet. The main airport for Fastjet is in Tanzania and connects travellers to Zimbabwe, Zambia and with a connecting flight to South Africa. Each one-way flight will cost €130 with one checked-in bag weighing 23kg. More bags can be booked online for €15. The problem is that there are very few international airlines that fly from Spain, France, Germany, USA and the United Kingdom to Tanzania. Most international airlines fly to South Africa, Kenya or Ethiopia. Kenya and Ethopia do not have any cheap budget airlines or flights to Tanzania. A cheap travel option is to fly to Kenya and take a private bus to Dar es Salaam in Tanzania for €35. The bus from Kenya to Tanzania gives travellers the opportunity to see Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest mountain in Africa.
Travelling by car to Victoria Falls from Harare will allow tourists to see the Great Zimbabwe ruins and Hwange National Park. The Big Five can be seen in Hwange National Park and tourist can stay in unfenced camps away from other people. Hwange National Park has upmarket safari camps with game drives and walking safaris.
Great Zimbabwe is one of Africa’s UNESCO sites and oldest castles. Organised tours are available to guide tourist through the history and see the lives of the local people.
- Is the hunting operator or professional hunters registered under an official association? The Zimbabwean Professional Hunters and Guides Association has a list of all the professional hunters. These Zimbabwean hunters are officially certified and follow the rules of the association to protect their clients from legal harm.
- Clarify the number of each animal that is in the hunting package. Some hunting operators in Zimbabwe will not be clear with this?
- Does the operator provide transport for the animal trophy to the taxidermists as part of the hunting package?
- Will the hunts be done in National Park safari areas, private conservancies or near tribal villages. Hunting in Zimbabwe´s Private conservancies and tribal areas will have more taxes from the Zimbabwean government and the need to hire a National Park ranger who monitors the hunting.
- Are the arrival and departure days separate from the hunting package?
- Is car transport included in the hunting package?
- What is the refund policy for animals that are not killed or shot? Each hunter or hunting camp operator will have their own refund policy. It also depends on whether the hunt is in National Park near Victoria Falls, a Private Conservancy like Save or a tribal hunting area.
- Are clients accommodated in tents or a safari lodge?
- Which airline does the taxidermist use to transport animal trophies. Some airlines do not permit certain animal trophies to certain countries.
- What does the medical insurance provide?
Shops in Bulawayo, Harare, Mutare and Victoria Falls have informal markets and supermarkets. Traditional african dresses and shirts are available for women. In every Zimbabwean city are informal clothes markets where donated clothes from Spain and Europe are sold in big piles. Near Victoria Falls is a traditional african villages where cheap traditional artwork and wood sculptures of giraffes, lions, elephants, crocodiles and leopards are sold. Wooden chairs and tables are also available. The traditional food of sadza, crocodile meat and beer is available in most supermarkets and restaurants. To avoid health problems do not buy food from the street. The baobab tree produces the monkey bread fruit. Monkey bread is very rich in Vitamin C and is used to make delicious drinks. Mopani worms are another traditional food but are not available in some supermarkets of Victoria Falls, Harare and Bulawayo. Animal meat from elephants, elands, impalas and buffalo are only available in specialist food shops. Zimbabwean traditional beer Chibuku is available in all supermarkets.
Zimbabwe tiene buenas zonas de pesca y pesca submarina para lubina, tigre de mar y bagre. Las zonas populares de pesca son el lago Kariba y el río Zambezi. La mejor época para la pesca submarina y de pesca es septiembre u octubre, pero está disponible durante todo el año. La pesca del río y la pesca del barco están disponibles. La pesca de la mosca y el efectivo y el lanzamiento se ofrecen. El equipo de pesca se puede organizar con antelación. Los peligros de la pesca submarina son los cocodrilos y los hipopótamos.
Light clothing is recommended in natural colors, with a warm jacket to wear at night and in the early morning. A pair of comfortable walking shoes will be helpful on your safari. Bring binoculars, a camera with extra memory cards and batteries, sunglasses, sunscreen, and a hat. Do not bring camouflage clothing from the army into the country, as it is illegal. Preferably use khaki / light brown garments
There are private hospitals in Bulawayo, Harare and Victoria Falls. Avoid using public hospitals. Helicopter evacuations for medical reasons are also available but only with appropriate health insurance.
Contact 112 on a Econet SIM card or 114 on Netone for emergency medical assistance. Also ask your health provider for recommended numbers.
Savi Conversancy near Bulawyo has good hunting areas. The Malilangwe Wildlife Reserve has areas for hunting, seabass fishing and safaris. Gonarezhou National Park is famous for hunting extremely aggressive elephants. The elephants are aggressive because of poaching; the young elephants are taught this kind of behaviour and become aggressive. The hunting of elephants and lions in Gonarezhou is more dangerous but full of adventure. Areas for hunting elephant,leopards, lions, wild pig, crocodiles and buffalo are in the north and west parts of Zimbabwe such as Hwange, Mana Pools, Victoria Falls and the Zambezi Valley.
Soon, hunting will not be possible in the safari area of Rifa.
Entertainment for children depends on the lodge and age of the child. Young children can join parents in river rafting, camping tours, rope course and giant swings in Victoria Falls and eastern Zimbabwe. Older children can do the adventure activities of kayaking, orienteering, hiking and mountain biking trails in groups. Guides can be arranged to care for children to allow parents to have a child free holiday. Age limits depend on the adventure activity.